Chris M. Slawecki
Chris M. Slawecki has been published in music industry and related publications for more than thirty years and has served AllAboutJazz.com as Senior Editor since 1997.
From: United States |
Profile Views: 34,445
Articles published in last 365 days: 35
I have served as Senior Editor for AllAboutJazz.com since March 1997. I served as the Jazz Voice for the ConcordMusicGroup.com from 2007 through 2013 and was one of two featured contributors to Stax Records' 50th anniversary blog/website upon the label's 50th anniversary relaunch. My first internet music journalism position was as Editor for Music Wire, the e-zine published daily by Music Boulevard for its retail site. Each day of Music Wire was devoted to a different genre of music: Monday was Country, Tuesday was Jazz and Blues, Wednesday was Pop/Rock, etc. I have served as Music Editor for retailer Spree.com; contributed interviews and reviews to AllMusicGuide.com; contributed interviews and reviews to CDNow.com; and interviews, biographies, and song compilations as Jazz/Blues Editor to CustomDisc.com. I wrote liner notes for Children on the Corner, a group of musicians who played with Miles Davis throughout the trumpeter's most experiemental 1970s period. My biographies of Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, the Modern Jazz Quartet, and others, appear in Music in the 20th Century published by Sharpe Reference in 1999. I also serve as editorial consultant and on the foundation committee for the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame.
My Jazz Story
There doesn't seem to be any standard definition of jazz. SO if there's no definition of what jazz IS, then there's no definition of what jazz is NOT. As I've grown, I've come to understand that jazz is not a separate, standalone "style" of music - jazz is a way of listening to and playing just about any and every "style" of music!
- Prince: Come
- Talking Heads: Remain in Light
- David Byrne / Brian Eno: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (Remaster)
- George Duke: Reach for It
- Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass: Best of
- Joe Sample: Did You Feel That?
- Frank Zappa: Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation
- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
- Miles Davis - Jack Johnson
- Various Artists - The Chess Records Blues Box
- James Brown - Live and Lowdown at the Apollo, Volume 1
- Thelonious Monk Septet - Monk's Music
- Little Richard - The Essential Little Richard
- The Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Jade Warrior - The Island Anthology
- Frank Sinatra - Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti